This six-ingredient wholemeal bread is so easy, delicious and is the perfect mix of a soft and light centre with a thick outer crust!
Not only is it really tasty it’s also extra healthy because it contains absolutely no sugar or salt like most shop bought breads do.
It makes for the perfect accompaniment to a hearty bowl of homemade soup or is absolutely delicious when filled with hummus and made into a sandwich.
It’s also so easy to make gluten-free and tastes amazing when made with spelt flour!
Prep Time: 5 mins Cook Time: 1 hr 15 mins
Total Time: 1 hr 20 mins Servings: 6-8 thick slices
- 3 1/2 cups wholemeal flour (or spelt if GF)
- 2 tbsp seeds such as pumpkin, sunflower, flax, sesame
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp agave (you could also use maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp liquid aminos (or tamari/soy sauce)
- 2 cups plant milk
- First pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Blitz up the majority of the seeds (leave a few whole ones for the top) into a ground powder. This will allow your body to fully break down all of the nutrients and get the proper benefits from the seeds!
- Add the ground seed mix to a bowl along with the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Next add in the agave, liquid aminos and half of the milk. Mix well.
- Add in the rest of the milk and form into a sticky dough.
- Pour the mixture into a lined baking tin, sprinkle some seeds on top and bake for around one hour and fifteen minutes. Be sure to check after one hour in case your bread is done.
- Use a knife or toothpick to pierce through the middle to ensure that your bread is fully cooked. This will come out clean if it is, if not then just pop it back in for another few minutes.
- Once cooked, transfer onto a wire rack to cool and leave it alone (I know it’s difficult) to firm up and allow cool down properly!
- Cut into thick slices and enjoy toasted with dairy-free butter, dipped into soup or as a sandwich!
That’s it for this recipe, really hope you enjoyed and please let me know if you make it!