Comforting, quick, easy, filling, delicious and healthy, these carrot cake oats are the perfect breakfast for when you’re craving something sweet but don’t want the guilt!
Toasting the walnuts and coconut shavings is such a simple step but really takes this recipe to the next level and makes it even tastier.
Prep time: 5 mins Cook time: 10 mins
Total time: 15 mins Servings: 2
- 100g oats, (around 1 cup)
- 240ml water, (around 1 cup)
- 360ml unsweetened almond milk or milk of choice, (around 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 medium carrot
- 50g walnuts
- 1tbsp dried coconut shavings
- 2tsp agave
- 1tsp cinnamon
- Toppings of choice
- Start off by washing the carrot to make sure that it is nice and clean, you could peel it if you prefer but I like to leave the skin on for added nutrients.
- Use a cheese grater to shred the carrot into small, skinny pieces. (This will allow the carrot to cook faster and is a great way to get your veggies in first thing in the morning!)
- Next add the oats, water, milk and grated carrot to a saucepan on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- While you wait for the oats to come to a simmer, add the walnuts and dried coconut shavings to a small frying pan or skillet on medium heat and dry toast them for around 4-5 minutes, or until the coconut starts to brown (and smell amazing).
- Once the oats start to simmer you will need to stir them continuously for around 5 minutes, depending on the type of oats you’re using and how cooked you want your carrot. You may also want to add a little bit more milk or water to ensure the oats don’t stick or burn.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the agave and cinnamon and pour into your favourite bowl. You can find my one here!
- Top with the toasted walnuts and coconut shavings, plus any other toppings you like. I topped mine with more agave, cacao nibs, granola and dried fruit as that was all I had but fresh fruit would go so well.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
I hope you enjoyed this recipe, thanks for reading! Let me know if you make it!